There are over 20 different types of Murder in the First Degree. These are all listed under various subdivisions of New York Penal Law §125.27.
The crime of Murder in the 1st Degree can be grouped as follows:
- Many of the same individuals listed in Aggravated Murder will also result in a Murder in the 1st degree charge.
- Killing a witness or family member of a witness either to stop them from testifying or as retribution for doing so.
- Hiring a contract killer or “hitman”.
- Intentionally killing someone while fleeing from a different attempted murder.
- Furthering terrorism with an intentional killing.
- Killing 2 or more people during the same transaction.